5 Reasons Why You Should Be Smiling Right Now
A simple smile is quite powerful. A smile is the most scientifically studied human facial expression, and I have several reasons why you should be smiling this very minute.
You know those people you see at work, the grocery store, or in a social setting who are always smiling? It’s as if the entire room is drawn to that one person. As humans, we are attracted to happy individuals. We want to be around the people who are smiling and confident. According to WebMD, “smiling should be an essential part of all human encounters, either face-to-face, or on the phone.”
I think we have all heard the phrase “fake it ’til you make it,” and it couldn’t be more true. Sometimes when I’m feeling down-in-the-dumps, I try to encourage myself with positive thoughts and just smile. Here are 5 reasons you should be smiling right now:
- Big grins help you live longer. It’s simple- smiles reveal positive feelings which in turn leads to well-being.
- Smiling is contagious. If you see someone smiling at you, you are most likely going to smile back. Even while texting or on the phone, a smile can be seen through the words.
- Your eyes will light up. A true, genuine smile will make your eyes light up. You can always spot a faker when their eyes show no emotion.
- Smiling reduces stress. Sometimes you gotta force a smile to make yourself feel better. According to a study at the Univesity of Kansas, people who faked smiles had lower stress levels than the ones who refused to smile.
- Smiling will make everthing ok. If you feel like life is completely unfair, work sucks, or nothing is going your way, stop for a minute and breathe. Get your thoughts into order and realize that everything will be ok. There is a bigger, better plan for all of us. Just smile through all of it.
If you need help getting a smile today, might I recommend this all-time classic?