7 Reasons Why You Think You Are Hungry
Ever "think" you are hungry but deep down you know you'll be ok if you pass up the greasy slice of pizza? Well, there are 7 reasons why you are tricked into being hungry.
According to Women's Health, cravings hit when your body doesn't need the extra calories and your tummy is to blame. I know there are several times I think I am hungry and once I give in to the donut, pizza slice, or whatever it may be, I immediately feel a sense of regret. Don't let your tummy trick you again!
- You are dehydrated. Not drinking enough H20 can make you feel as if you are hungry, when really you are just thirsty. Next time you get the feeling of hunger, drink a glass of water first.
- You are looking at too many pics of food. You know those pictures on Instagram captioned #foodporn ? Well, looking at food can lead to major cravings. I know because when I watch the Food Network, I want to eat everything I see.
- You aren't getting enough sleep. Sleep deprivation can lead to overeating. According to a 2013 study, not enough snooze time causes the brain to become more sensitive to the rewarding properties of food. Try to log in 7 to 8 hours of sleep each and every night.
- Your sweet tooth is out of control. Eating too much sugar can distract the hormonal balance in your gut. Sugar tends to influence ghrelin (a hormone which tells your brain you are hungry) into thinking you are hungry.
- Happy hour isn't so happy. Booze affects leptin (a hormone which suppresses appetite) leading you to get the munchies. We've all chowed down on a bag of chips, pizza, or the leftover pasta after a long night of drinking.
- You are stressed. Being stressed can lead to feelings of hunger which results in overeating. Try calming your mind and body with yoga or other ways to release stress and anxiety. Even a short walk outside will help tremendously.
- You're watching the tube. Eating while being distracted by the TV leads to overeating. You aren't paying attention to how much you are eating or even enjoying what you are eating. Try to eat while sitting down, with no TV and/or telephone. Really pay attention to what you are eating, how it tastes, and how it makes you feel.
I hope this helps and next time you get the urge to open up the fridge or pantry, think back on these 7 little pranksters.