Louisiana Tax Free Weekend Promotes Hurricane Prep
Can you believe there has already been a named tropical system in the Atlantic basin and it isn’t even officially hurricane season? The good news is that Alberto is weakening and moving out to sea. The better news is that this Memorial Day weekend, Saturday and Sunday, you can stock up on supplies and materials you need to be ready for storm season and get a break from state taxes.
The idea behind the tax free hurricane preparedness weekend is to encourage people to make plans now and be better prepared in the event of a hurricane or tropical storm later in the season. What items are included in the tax free weekend?
The following items are covered according Louisiana Revised Statute 47:305:58
- portable self-powered light source;
- portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;
- tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;
- any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;
- any gas or diesel fuel tank;
- any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;
- any cellular phone battery and any cellular phone charger;
- any non-electric food storage cooler;
- any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;
- any “storm shutter device,” as defined in the Act;
- any carbon monoxide detector; and
- any blue ice product.
This weekend would also be a good time to replenish and replace your hurricane kit from last season. I hope it stays in the closet or storage room all year long but as they say, better safe than sorry.