Mardi Gras By The Numbers
Mardi Gras in Acadiana is (for the most part) a family-friendly take on the celebration that started in Mobile, Alabama and that New Orleans made famous. We like the fact that Mardi Gras here isn't as packed or as debaucherous as the celebrations a few hours east, and we hope it stays that way.
With that being said, WalletHub put together its Mardi Gras 2017 Fun Facts Report, sharing interesting Mardi Gras statistics, history, and tips for having a great Mardi Gras.
Here are just a few of the facts that WalletHub listed in the report.
- Mardi Gras in Mobile started in 1830 - around Christmas time
- $5.72 is the average cost for a Mardi Gras mask
- Average cost for a person to ride a float: $500
- Over 500,000 king cakes are sold during Mardi Gras season in New Orleans
- Of the 1.4 million people who attended Mardi Gras in New Orleans last year, 142,000 flew in for the celebration.
- 30 guns were confiscated during Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans last year
For WalletHub’s complete Mardi Gras 2017 Fun Facts Report, please visit WalletHub.