Movies Filmed in Lafayette [VIDEO]
Who would have thought that Louisiana would become the 'Hollywood of the South', with so many films and television shows made here in the Bayou State?
When I heard the news that actor Powers Boothe passed away last year, I was reminded of a movie that I saw him in, which was shot locally in 1981. It was called Southern Comfort. It was pretty exciting stuff to see an actual movie being filmed, and to be honest, it still is!
Here is a little bit of local trivia for you. In 'The Apostle', which was nominated for an Academy Award, (and many other honors), is set in a southern radio station. A lot of the items actually used in the movie were borrowed from us here at 97.3 the Dawg. (And yes, they brought them back!) We even got an official credit at the end of the film, so be sure and look next time you watch it!
Some of the following movies were filmed in and around Lafayette, and the list is not complete, but still fun to look back on. Let us know if you happened to be in any of these cinematic treasures!
- 'Nevada Smith' - Steve McQueen, Karl Malden - 1966
- 'Easy Rider' - Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper - 1969
- 'The Drowning Pool' - Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Melanie Griffith - 1975
- 'Casey's Shadow' - Walter Matthau - 1978
- 'Belizaire the Cajun' - Armand Assante - 1986
- 'Southern Comfort' - Powers Boothe, Keith Carradine, Fred Ward - 1981
- 'The Apostle' - Robert Duvall, June Carter Cash, Farrah Fawcett - 1997
- 'Secretariat' - Diane Lane, John Malkovitch - 2010
- 'Undercover Blues' - Dennis Quaid, Kathleen Turner - 1993