A Vet’s Pro Tips for Traveling With Pets
If you are gearing up for a holiday travel with the family, and your pets, then here's a few tips from actual veterinarians that can make things soooo much easier. Fido and Kitty will be grateful, so check out a summary below, but if you want more info, be sure to hit up Mental Floss for more details.
- Get a comfy travel crate for short trips. If they are used to crates, this could be their comfort zone
- Don't stuff the crate with toys. You want to leave them as much room as possible to adjust their comfort level.
- Bring all the correct paperwork. Some places require updated health info before pets are allowed to check in with you.
- Make sure contact info is up to date and correct. Microchip or tag info is critical in case you get separated, and you're far from home.
- No food, or less than normal portions on travel day. You don't want a case of stress diarrhea do you?
- Keep them hydrated.
- Make sure you have toys ready to keep them occupied
- Pet friendly accommodations are must. Make sure you call the hotel, Airbnb, or condo in advance to find out their pet policy.
- Bring a little bit of home along for the ride. Their own toys and treats will make them way more comfortable
- Know when to leave pets at home. Not every vacation is appropriate for your furry friends.