Best Places To See Spring Wildflowers in Louisiana
Spring is finally here, and it's time to get outside and enjoy the beautiful wildflowers across our state. Only in Louisiana has reminded me of some really amazing spots to view the flowers that will dot our state in the upcoming weeks. Enjoy, and happy spring, y'all!
- Wild Azalea Trail. This 31 mile trail runs from Valentine Lake Recreation Area to the Woodworth Town Hall. It also has the distinction of being designated a National Recreation Trail.
- Jungle Gardens. Hwy. 329 on Avery Island. Anyone who has ever been to the Tabasco plant has seen Jungle Gardens. Over 170 acres along Bayou Petite Anse makes this one of south Louisiana's most beautiful destinations.
- Rip Van Winkle Gardens. 5505 Rip Van Winkle Rd., New Iberia. 17 acres of lush semi tropical gardens make this a popular destination for weddings, or lunch at Cafe Gardens
- Wildflower fields at City Park. 1 Palm Dr., New Orleans. The fields are located in the park between Roosevelt Mall and Marconi. This park is beautiful any day, but especially so when the spring wildflowers are blooming.
- LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens. 4560 Essen Ln., Baton Rouge. Five miles of beautiful walking paths inside 150 acres right in the middle of our capitol city.
- Azalea Trail. Lafayette. Twenty miles through the downtown historic district and other areas, this trail is gorgeous when the azaleas open up. You can even get a map to track the best blooms.
- Houmas House and Gardens. 40136 Hwy. 942, Darrow. The Academy Award winning Best Film of the Year 'Green Book' was filmed here, and it's worth a drive to see the absolutely stunning foliage. Right on the Mississippi river, on historic River Road.
- Kiroli Park. 820 Kiroli Rd., West Monroe. No trip to north Louisiana would be complete without stopping to see the lush natural greenery of this 150 acre park.
- Briarwood Nature Preserve. 216 Caroline Dorman Rd, Saline. On the grounds of the former home of renowned botanist Caroline Dormon, you can even take a tour to view the assortment of nature's most bountiful blooms.