Lafayette firefighters received a call about a house on fire shortly after midnight on Tuesday morning. Crews responded to the call at a home on Melody Lane in the city. Upon arrival, firefighters noted that flames were already escaping through the front windows of the structure.

When crews entered the home they found the living room to be fully involved. The occupant of the dwelling told fire investigators that she was asleep in her bedroom when the alarm from her smoke detector awakened her.

She told fire crews that when she stepped out of her bedroom she noticed the hallway in the home was filled with smoke. Fortunately, she was able to exit the structure using a rear passageway.

A preliminary investigation from the Lafayette Fire Department suggests that the blaze began in the living room. Investigators believe a  malfunctioning lamp may have been the catalyst that sparked the blaze. Officials say the home sustained heavy fire and smoke damage and just about everything in the home was destroyed from either heat or smoke.

Investigators have ruled the blaze to be accidental. Neither the occupant of the home nor any members of the responding fire crews were injured in quelling the fire. Lafayette Fire Officials say the blaze was extinguished in about 15 minutes following the arrival of firefighters.


10 Smallest Towns in Louisiana



More From 97.3 The Dawg