As Acadiana recovers from the Flood of 2016, we will all pull together to get through it. There are people and agencies who are ready to help you get the help you need. If you weren't impacted greatly and want to lend a hand, there are ways you can do that, too.


Kelly Courville with Goodwill Industries of Acadiana says her organization is working with Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters or VOAD. They are made up of non-profit groups in our area, and her staff is taking calls at (337)769-7650 and giving people information about where to go and who to call for what they need.

If you are an individual or a group and would like to make a supply donation, the staff there will also be able to help guide you.

Additionally, Goodwill of Acadiana is assisting by opening its stores in to flood victims on Wednesday. Also, on that day, members of VOAD will be there with information on food, housing, financial assistance, pets, emergency aid, and other recovery information that is not always easily accessed.

If you'd like to volunteer or donate money, visit the United Way of Acadiana website. To volunteer, call (337)706-1234. To donate, you can text "FLOOD2016" to 41444.


Both Second Harvest Food Bank and Food Net are requesting donations to serve all of the areas affected by the flooding.

Second Harvest is accepting donations at its location on Pinhook and at all Rouse's Supermarkets in Louisiana. If you are in need of food or cleaning supplies, you can call Second Harvest toll free at 1-855-392-9338.

Food Net is accepting donations at its location on Surrey Street, as well as at several grocery stores in the Lafayette area.

As you may already be aware, most of the parishes in Acadiana have been declared disaster areas. The declaration triggers federal assistance.

Thanks to Senator Jonathan Perry for explaining how the process works. Here are the steps to follow to apply by phone or online. Bear in mind, the website will be inundated and could run slowly or not at all at times. Please be patient.

You MUST have all of the following information when applying.

Here is the information you will need:
1- Social Security Number
2- Physical Address where the damage occurred
3- Address if you are unable to stay at the damaged property
4- Telephone number - I would put your cell 1st then a secondary
5- Insurance information - whether you did or did not have flood
insurance please still apply
6- Total household income
7- Routing and account number for your checking or savings account
this is for direct deposit in the event you are approved
8- A description of the disaster-caused damage and losses
800-621-3362 - mainline
800-462-7585 - TTY

People who currently receive SNAP benefits (EBT/food stamps) do not need to register for additional assistance if you live in an affected area. Benefits will be automatically added to your Louisiana Purchase card if you qualify.

If you and your family need DSNAP (Disaster Food Stamp) benefits because you were affected and are not currently receiving benefits, you may qualify. You can register at or by calling 1-888-LAHELP-U.

You will need the following information:

  • Names, Social Security Numbers and Dates of Birth for each household member
  • Address and Parish where you currently live
  • Monthly income for each household member
  • The amount of cash you have available (cash, checking, savings) for each household member of your household

A note that registration does not mean automatic qualification for benefits.


More From 97.3 The Dawg