Fun Things to Do in the Destin/30A Area of Florida
If you're like a lot of Acadiana folks, you might be planning a trip to the Florida Panhandle this summer. Even though the state was a bit hesitant to let us Louisiana folks in because of the coronavirus, you have to admit, it's a beautiful place for vacation. Sometimes just sitting in a beach chair listening to the waves does more for your soul than anything else.
If you are looking for some fun things to do while you're on the Emerald Coast, I put together a few of my favorites below. And if I'm lucky enough I'll get to enjoy some of them in the near future myself. Enjoy your summer!
- Big Kahunas Water and Adventure Park. Located in Destin at 1007 US Highway 98 East. Voted the best water park on the Emerald Coast, there is fun in the sun for the whole family at Big Kahunas. They have slides, pools, a lazy river, and even cabanas to rent for the day. And you can usually find some discount coupons online or around town to make it a little more affordable
- Food Trucks on 30A. Country Road 30A is paradise. It's filled with little beach towns, art galleries, local boutiques, and lots of gorgeous beach homes. Seaside is one of my favorite destinations, and they have some pretty amazing food trucks set up near the central square. They are fun, affordable, and perfect for a bite to eat before you go exploring the town that The Truman Show was filmed in.
- Crab Island. You've probably seen Crab Island as you are heading into Destin from Ft Walton Beach on the Marler Bridge. It's in the Choctawhatchee Bay, inside East Pass. You can't get there except by boat or pontoon, and this amazing sandbar is one the area's most popular destinations. It's about four acres, and once you get there you can enjoy live music from floating stages, food and drinks from local vendors, and even snorkeling.
- Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park. Located on Miracle Strip Pkwy in Ft. Walton Beach, this place is not as big as Sea World, but its way more affordable and charming. I love the dolphin and sea lion shows, and you can have some pretty amazing "animal encounters" while learning about the abundant marine life in Florida. Your kids will love it
- 30A Farmers Market at Rosemary Beach. This is one of my favorites. Held on Sundays from 9:00am - 1:00 pm at Barrett Square in the super cute community of Rosemary Beach. Usually has about 25-30 vendor tents, and they have everything from fresh seafood to locally made items, and really killer baked goods and smoked tuna dip. They even have cocktails! It's a great place to meet up with friends, and it's in a very serene setting. And well worth the drive from wherever you're staying
- Beach. Take your pick, they're ALL beautiful.
11 Overhyped Tourist Destinations