Two Acadiana Teenagers Are Dead after a Crash on I-49
Officials with Lousiana State Police were called out to investigate a fatal crash that happened at around 3:30 Sunday morning near mile marker 7 on I-49
Trooper Thomas Gossen says two teenagers are dead due to this crash.
What the initial investigation revealed is that 16-year-old Jose Alvarez from Opelousas was driving in the northbound outside lane on Interstate 49. They are not sure whether he was driving or whether or not the vehicle was stopped.
At the same time, a box truck traveling in the same direction as Alvarez's car ended up hitting the back of Alvarez's car. The car overturned and ended up in the median.
Alvarez was wearing a seat belt but died at the scene. His passenger, 16-year-old Marlin Garcia of Church Point was not wearing a seat belt, and he also died at the scene.
The driver of the box truck was not hurt. He agreed to a breath test, and he passed according to officials at the scene.
Gossen says they are still investigating this crash.
There are rules about when teenagers can and can't drive, and Gossen wants everyone to have these reminders about 16-year-old drivers:
- Eligible for Intermediate License Pre-licensing requirement
- • Possess a Learner’s Permit for a minimum of 180 days.
- • Completed 50 hours of supervised driving, 15 of those hours at night.
- • Pass road skills test with OMV or driving school.
- • A parent or legal guardian shall attest that the pre-licensing requirements have been met by providing a signed statement to OMV:
- • No at-fault crashes with a learner’s permit.
- • No moving violations with learner’s permit.
- • No seat belt, curfew, drug, or alcohol law violations.
These are the Restrictions:
- • Restricted driving between 11 p.m. – 5 a.m. unless with a licensed parent/guardian, licensed adult at least 21 years old, or licensed sibling 18 years or older.
- • Unless accompanied by a licensed adult 21 years old or older, the teen may not transport more than one passenger under age 21 and who is not an immediate family member, between the hours of 6 pm–5 am.
- • Drivers 17 years old and under are prohibited from using cell phones for talk, text (read, write, or send), unless for emergencies.
- • Drivers shall ensure all passengers are properly seat belted prior to placing the vehicle in motion. • The term “Intermediate” will be depicted on the driver’s license.
For all other teenager restrictions, click here.
This is the 34 fatality that has happened in 30 fatal crashes so far this year.