Friday night Lafayette Firefighters were called to the scene of a residential fire in the 100 block of North General Marshal Street. Upon arrival to the scene, firefighters noticed heavy smoke billowing out of a single-family dwelling.

As fire crews approached the structure to begin mitigation efforts the blaze broke through a front window venting flames into the eaves of the dwelling. This venting allowed the flames to quickly spread to the attic of the structure.

It took about twenty minutes but fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control and eventually extinguish the flames. Fire investigators say that the residents of the home, four adults, were at home at the time the blaze broke out. All four of the residents were able to escape the structure without injury.

Investigators determined that the blaze was likely caused by an overloaded extension cord. The cause of the blaze was ruled an accident

More From 97.3 The Dawg