Window Tint Leads To Arrest in Abbeville
Officers with the Abbeville Police Department pulled over a driver yesterday with extremely dark tint on his vehicle's windows which eventually led to the man's arrest. During a routine traffic stop to talk to the driver about the too-dark tint, the driver admitted to having marijuana in the car.
A subsequent search of the vehicle belonging to 23-year-old Donald Briggs III recovered 55 grams of marijuana and a gun, at which point Briggs was taken to jail.
A background check revealed that Briggs had a felony charge from 2018 for Attempted Illegal Use Of Weapons. Because of the prior charge, it was against the law for him to be in possession of a gun, leading to more charges.
To add insult to injury, Briggs was within 1,000 feet of Eaton Park Elementary.
He was booked on the following charges:
- Possession of a Firearm with a Controlled Dangerous Substance Present
- Possession of a Firearm by a Person Convicted of Certain Felonies
- Possession of a Firearm in a Firearm Free Zone
- Possession with the Intent to Distribute Marijuana
- Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance in a Drug-Free Zone
Briggs was also issued a citation for the illegal window tint.