Beware Of Funeral Scams In Acadiana Via Email
Here's a heads up from the Acadiana Better Business Bureau about email scams that are about funeral notifications.
If you receive an email with the subject line "funeral notification", even if it seems like it's from a local funeral company, don't jump to open it, as many sent to local residents are nothing but a scam.
The email messages seem to from familiar funeral homes, some of them even used names, colors and logos of local funeral homes to get you to open the email attachments.
If you open it, it sends you to a foreign domain where scammers place malware that give scammers access to your computer and your personal information.
The BBB reports scammers will change up their con with different messages, all in an effort to get at your private information.
BBB contacted several Acadiana funeral homes and some said they did send out funeral notices and memorial announcements by email at the family’s request.
They were also warned of the scam and informed BBB they would be on the lookout for suspicious activity using their names, logos, web address and company colors to protect consumers.
So what do you do?
The BBB offers the following tips to avoid this and similar email scams:
- Don't believe what you see. Scammers can easily copy a real business' colors, logo and even email address. Best to confirm with the funeral home or family and friends before clicking on links or even opening the email.
- Be wary of unexpected emails that contain links or attachments. As always, do not click on links or open the files in unfamiliar emails.
- Beware of pop-ups. Some pop-ups are designed to look like they've originated from your computer. If you see a pop-up that warns of a problem that needs to be fixed with an extreme level of urgency, it may be a scam.
- Watch for poor grammar and spelling. Scam emails often are riddled with typos.
- Ignore calls for immediate action. Scam emails try to get you to act before you think by creating a sense of urgency. Don't fall for it.
- Start with Trust®. Check out the business with BBB before doing business.
You can find out more information at bbb.org or call (337) 981-3497 24 hours a day for information on businesses throughout North America.