It’s A Louisiana Tax Free Weekend!
As the hurricane season approaches, it is a good idea to start gathering all of the supplies you and your family will need to stay safe. There’s no better time to do that then this weekend, the Louisiana Tax Free Weekend! Make sure you have all of the necessities like a generator, flash lights, batteries, water etc. According to the Louisiana Department of Revenue’s website, these are the purchases that are eligible for exemption on May 25th and 26th:
- All consumer purchases of firearms, ammunition and hunting supplies. Firearms eligible for the sales tax exemption include shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers, or other handguns, which may be legally sold or purchased in Louisiana. Ammunition intended to be fired from a gun or firearm is eligible for the sales tax exemption. Hunting supplies are eligible for the sales tax exemption only if used for and designed for hunting. Hunting supplies include:
- Animal feed that is manufactured and marketed as being for consumption primarily by game, which can be legally hunted. This does not include food for animals kept as pets;
- Apparel such as safety gear, camouflage clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, mittens, face masks and thermal underwear manufactured and marketed as being primarily for wear or use while hunting;
- Archery items used for hunting such as bows, crossbows, arrows, quivers and shafts;
- Bags to carry game or hunting gear;
- Belts that are manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting;
- Binoculars only if purchased to be used for hunting;
- Chairs to be used for hunting. This excludes purchases by an individual of chairs or other furniture for household, business or other recreational use;
- Firearm, archery, and other accessories designed for hunting;
- Float tubes only if purchased to be used for hunting;
- Hearing protection gear and enhancements;
- Hunting shoes or boots designed and used for hunting;
- Knives that are manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting. This excludes the purchase of knives by an individual to be used for household, business or other recreational use;
- Miscellaneous gear that is manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting. This includes other hunting-related gear or supplies not previously listed. This excludes the purchase of toy guns and vessels or off road vehicles utilized as children’s toys;
- Off-road vehicles such as all terrain vehicles designed and intended primarily for hunting. The exemption does not apply to golf carts, go-carts, dirt bikes, mini-bikes, motorcycles, tractors, motor vehicles which may be legally driven on the streets and highways of Louisiana, or heavy equipment such as cranes, forklifts, backhoes and bulldozers;
- Optics such as rifle scopes and impact resistant glasses for shooting;
- Range finders;
- The sales and use tax exemption is available only for individuals’ purchases and is not available for business purchases.
- Tools that are manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting;
- Tree stands; and
- Vessels such as airboats and pirogues designed and intended for hunting.
For a details on purchases that are not eligible, conditions, special exemptions and more, visit the the Revue Department website at http://tinyurl.com/3knfwca. Have a fun and tax free weekend!