Words Only Southerners Use
If you grew up in a household where everyone from up north is considered a Yankee, then you'll be able to relate to these words and sayings that only us folks in the south use. I am literally laughing as I type, because all of these are oh so true! Check out some of my favorites below, and be sure to look at the whole list here from Pretty Southern.
- Y'all - never 'you guys'
- Fixin' To - about to do something
- Lagniappe - a little extra
- Buggy - as in shopping cart
- Sweeper - not vacuum cleaner
- Access Road - Service Road
- Bless Your Heart - nice way of saying you are stupid
- Pocketbook - purse
- Po' Boy - a delicious sandwich used with Louisiana french bread
- Highway- not freeway
- Dumber than a Box of Rocks - needs no explanation
- Honey - used for everyone - as in 'Hey Honey'
- Sugar - used for everyone - as in 'Hey, Sugar'
- Coke - any soft drink
- Neutral ground - not median, as in the street. During Mardi Gras you're either a neutral ground person, or a sidewalk person for the parades