Cigarette Is The Cause Of Deadly Fire in Lafayette
Lafayette Fire Department Spokesman Alton Trahan says that a lit cigarette led to a fire that claimed the life of a Lafayette woman early this morning.
The fire department was called out to the blaze just before 1:00 this morning after the woman who lived there, 65-year-old Madeline McQuade, called for help.
Firefighters and Acadian Ambulance paramedics worked hard to try to help the woman, but she did not survive her injuries.
Trahan says several of McQuade's pets died as well.
After the fire was put out, firefighters determined that a cigarette was the cause of the accidental fire that claimed McQuade's life. Trahan says McQuade was sitting in a chair at the time the blaze broke out.
The home had both heavy smoke and fire damage.
The home was located in the 100 block of Palmetto Drive.