Do These Christmas Traditions Need To Go Away?
We all have our cherished Christmas traditions, and some of them have been around for a very long time. But did you, or anyone in your family, ever stop and think 'Why are we still doing this??' At my house that would be a big YES.
Best Life has compiled a list of holiday traditions that they think should be retired. Some of these I agree with, and some I don't. Feel free to chime in with your own revisions, and Merry Christmas, y'all.
- Ugly Christmas Sweaters - just an excuse to get away with wearing horrible clothing
- Elf on the Shelf - sorry, but I think this is creepy. Really creepy.
- Figgy Pudding - do we even know what this is??
- Secret Santa - buying gifts for people you barely know. And on a budget.
- Christmas trees that aren't green - blue, pink or silver trees don't really look real, do they?
- Holiday airline travel - shuddering as I think of the security lines involved in getting 'home for the holidays'
- The annual Christmas family newsletter - so completely impersonal
- Giant inflatable decorations - we're talking so huge that they look like they escaped from the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. Ugh.
- New Christmas TV specials - we like the classics.
- Believing that a 'white Christmas' is the only way to celebrate - for us southerners, we do just fine with shorts on December 25. And we don't have to buy any snow shovels. Ever.
- Fruitcake - for the most part I don't like it, but if you've ever had one from Collin Street Bakery in Lindale, Texas, you would change your mind. They are....divine
- Mall Santa's - not sure I agree with this one, but it's always a good idea to be careful if you're putting your child on a strangers lap.
- Underwear as a gift - No. Not even as a joke.
- Fake fireplaces on TV - somehow not as comforting as they purport to be
- Holiday sales events that go on and on - hey, we all like to save money, but if your favorite store has a Christmas sale that starts the second Halloween is over, it's too early.
- Constantly quoting from the movie 'Elf' - unless you wrote the lines, we already have heard them a thousand times. Stop. It.
- Nativity scenes that are 'tacky' - don't even think about putting Frosty and Rudolph in there. Be respectful of the baby Jesus, people.
- Christmas carolers - I am not opening the door at night to a bunch of strangers. Even if they are singing 'Deck the Halls'
- Getting dressed up for Christmas dinner - I'm on the fence about this one. You don't want to look like a slob, but no need to dress like you're going to a Mardi Gras ball.
- Being shamed into saying 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas' - Ummm, it's always going to be 'Merry Christmas' at my house. If you're too PC for that, then, oh well...