Gov. Edwards to Announce Today If Louisiana Will Enter Phase 2
Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards will be holding a press conference today at 2:30 pm to announce if the state will be entering Phase 2 of re-opening the state.
We will carry the press conference live on our Facebook page.
In looking at the state's COVID-19 numbers, there appears to be clear evidence of curve flattening. For the first time in months, the state reported single-digit deaths on Sunday.
The number of people with the virus that are hospitalized continues to decline as well. There are now just 678 hospitalized patients with COVID-19. Of those, only 84 are on ventilators.
All of those numbers are the main reason why many believe the state is ready to enter Phase 2.
So, what exactly will happen in Phase 2? Under the White House plan, it includes some very important changes.
Here are some of those changes:
- Bars may operate with diminished standing-room occupancy, where applicable and appropriate
- Non-essential travel can resume
- Large venues (sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under moderate physical distancing protocols
Some individual mitigation continues:
- All vulnerable individuals should continue to shelter in place
- Members of households with vulnerable residents should be aware that by returning to work or other environments where distancing is not practical, they could carry the virus back home
- Precautions should be taken to isolate from vulnerable residents
- All individuals, when in public, should maximize distance from others
- Social settings of more than 50 people, where appropriate distancing may not be practical, should be avoided unless precautionary measures are observed
- Continue to encourage telework, whenever possible and feasible with business operations
- Close common areas where personnel are likely to congregate and interact, or enforce moderate social distancing protocols
- Strongly consider special accommodations for personnel who are members of a vulnerable population
- Schools and organized youth activities (e.g., daycare, camp) can reopen
- Visits to senior care facilities and hospitals should be prohibited. Those who do interact with residents and patients must adhere to strict protocols regarding hygiene
- Elective surgeries can resume, as clinically appropriate, on an outpatient and in-patient basis at facilities that adhere to CMS guidelines
- GYMS can remain open if they adhere to strict physical distancing and sanitation protocols