Lafayette Fire crews responded to a call Saturday afternoon at an apartment complex located in the 200 block of Loire Avenue. When crews arrived on the scene they noticed smoke coming from an upstairs window.

Fortunately, the occupants of the dwelling had already vacated the structure. Firefighters were directed to the bedroom of a specific unit. They were told that the bed in that room was on fire.

The blaze was extinguished in less than 15 minutes. The only injury that was reported was to one of the adult residents who was treated for minor burns sustained while attempting to put the fire out.

Investigators believe the fire was started by a five-year-old child playing with a lighter in an upstairs bedroom. The cause of the blaze was determined to be an accident. The residents of the dwelling who were displaced, two adults and three children are being assisted by the Red Cross.



More From 97.3 The Dawg