My ‘Go To’ Summer Activities List in Acadiana
I love summer, and I love summer here in Louisiana. Don't complain about the heat around me, because it doesn't bother me at all.! Every year I look forward to so many things around Acadiana during these warm months, and I wanted to share some of those so that you might enjoy them too. And please let me know what you are most looking forward to in the next couple of months. Isn't it great to be in Acadiana during the summer?!
- Farmer's Markets - every Saturday you can find me at one of our local markets. My favorites are the Delcambre Seafood and Farmers Market, the Lafayette Farmers and Artisans Market at Moncus Park, Sunrise Saturdays in Sunset, and the Youngsville Farmers and Artisans Market at Sugar Mill Pond
- Erath 4th of July Celebration - this week long festival is everything I love about small town America. A fantastic lineup of local entertainment, great food, awesome carnival rides, and lots of spectacular fireworks. Erath really knows how to throw a party, and this is their 83nd year for the 4th of July festival!
- Blueberry Picking - I wouldn't miss this for the world, but you only have a short window of time to pick. Usually late May through the end of June. Pick Your Own Farms are abundant here in Louisiana, and so much fun for the whole family! We have many fruits that are plentiful at this time of year, so don't miss out on making memories in our beautiful outdoors.
- Movies in the Parc - this is usually held before the full blown summer heat wave, and it's so much fun! Affordable for the whole family, and held in beautiful downtown Lafayette at Parc International. The films are always family friendly, and you can bring your own snacks and drinks, or purchase some there.
- Buying shrimp right off the boat in Delcambre. l love heading to the docks in Delcambre to pick up some fresh seafood right off the boats. Delcambre Direct Seafood has an awesome facebook page, with updates on which boats are coming in, what they have, and times you can buy. Bring your ice chests, save a ton of money, and enjoy Louisiana's bounty!
- The annual Delcambre Shrimp Festival - always fun, and always great food and entertainment. They will announce performers in a couple of weeks
- Art Walk - downtown Lafayette hosts the Second Saturday Art Walk each month, with galleries, restaurants and retail locations opening their doors for art loving patrons who might not otherwise be able to get downtown during regular business hours. Art Walk is held from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm, and features local artists and artisans, and live music.
- LA Smoked Meat Festival, Ville Platte. This year the festival is this weekend, May 17-18. Great food, great entertainment, and proceeds benefit the Vietnam Veterans Association.
- Tki Tubing - Denham Springs - Even though it's a little outside the realm of Acadiana, heading to the river for a fun day of tubing is always going to be on my list every summer!
- Blue Bayou / Dixie Landin' - also a little outside of Acadiana, but still a fun way to spend the day. Opening day is May 18th. They even have season passes, but I am very disappointed that they discontinued the Saturday night concerts this year. What's up with that?