New Iberia Firefighter Injured in Sunday Apartment Fire
It was not the kind of peaceful Sunday morning that firefighters in New Iberia were hoping for. Instead, they were called into action shortly before 9 am. The fire call came from the Iberia South Apartments on Adrian Street.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they noticed a dryer in flames. Although not official, it is suspected to be the cause of the blaze. The apartment was also filled with smoke.
Fortunately, all of the residents had vacated the premises and firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze but not before part of the ceiling collapsed. That collapsing ceiling injured a firefighter on the scene. He was taken to a local hospital and treated for his injuries.
Officials say eight apartments were inundated with smoke and two units were significantly damaged in the blaze. Several people were displaced by the blaze and subsequent damage.
According to KATC two women and several children are in need of donations as a result of the fire. If you'd like to donate clothing the following sizes are needed.
- 4-month-old: 6-9 mo.
- 1-year-old: 18 mo.
- 4-year-old (f): 3T
- 8-year-old (m) large shirt, size 12 pants
- 12-year-old (m): medium shirt, size 14 pants
- Women's medium and large shirts, women's size 10/12 pants, women's size 12/14 pants
If you'd like to make a monetary contribution you may call 337-967-6673 or 337-519-8498.