Back to School: After-School Snacks
The new school year has officially started for everyone here in the Acadiana area. It is very bittersweet, but a positive mindset will help everyone get through the new year. I think one thing we can all agree on is how important after-school snacks are. Here are some great, healthy snacks for all students.
Why is it that kids raid the pantry after school like they haven't been fed all day? Thinking and learning all day can make one hungry. I remember when I was younger and in grade school, I couldn't wait for my mom to pick me up from school so we could go get something to eat ASAP. However, picking something up every day after school can become costly, so here are some great snacks to keep at home for the kiddos:
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Who doesn't love a classic PB&J? The best thing about it is that a little bit of peanut butter is actually good for you and filling. it will cure a rumbling belly, but still give the kids an appetite come dinner time.
- Carrots and ranch- these two pair up great together. Carrots are a great source of antioxidants, cardiovascular benefits, and anti-cancer benefits.
- Granola bars- these are a great on-the-go snack if the kids need to get to soccer practice right after school. You can also make some delicious, homemade granola bars. All you need is butter, honey, brown sugar, a pinch of salt, oats, and whatever else you want to add: nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc.
- Pepperoni pizza bread- kids love anything with marinara sauce and pepperonis. All you need is a good loaf of french bread or Italian bread (cut horizontally), pepperoni, jar marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and olive oil. Broil in oven until bubbly.
- Grilled cheese. Kids and adults always love this classic sandwich. Make on whole-wheat bread for an extra health benefit.
- Turkey roll-ups. This is one of my absolute favorites. Take a package tortilla and sprinkle with shredded turkey and any kind of cheese. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, serve with salsa.
For more great after-school snacks, visit the Food Network for awesome ideas!