Favorite Traditional Irish Proverbs and Prayers
The folks at Irish Central have really got me in the spirit of St Patrick's Day. They have a way for you to get a little Irish culture going before you celebrate Patty in the Parc with us Saturday in downtown Lafayette. Some of these Irish sayings are things you have heard your whole life, and maybe just whip out around March 17th. But I love the Irish proverbs and prayers as well, and some of my favorites are below.
- A man's best friend is his mother until he meets his wife
- May all your troubles be little ones
and all your little ones be trouble free
- May you always have money in your pocket
a woman to love
and a smile on your face
- There are good ships and there are wood ships,
the ships that sail the sea.
But the best ships are friendships,
and may they always be
- May you be at the gates of heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead!
- May the wind always be at your back