Louisiana, These Are the Most Alligator Infested States
When you think of alligators, you think of Louisiana and Florida. However, you might be surprised at the sizeable alligator populations found in other states across the United States.
States With The Most Alligators
In the United States, you primarily find two species of alligators, the American alligator and the Chinese alligator. The American alligator is the well-known species.
Alligators are found in freshwater habitats such as swamps, marshes, rivers, and lakes throughout the southeastern United States.
While alligators are typically shy and will avoid humans, there are unfortunately occasional incidents of alligator attacks.
Alligators are important to ecosystems because they help to control prey populations and create wetland habitats.
They also play a significant role in the economies of some states through controlled hunting and the sale of alligator products such as meat, hides, and leather.
So, what states have the largest alligator populations?
The folks over at a-z-animals.com have put together a list of "Most Alligator Infested States" and here's how it shakes out.
10. Oklahoma - Alligator population estimated to be between 100-200 alligators. Who knew Oklahoma has alligators?
9. North Carolina - Alligator population estimated to be approximately 1,000 alligators.
8. Arkansas - Alligator population estimated to be approximately between 2,000-3,000 alligators.
7. Mississippi - A considerable jump here as the alligator population is estimated to be approximately between 32,000-38,000.
6. Alabama - Another big jump with Alabama's alligator population is estimated to be 70,000.
5. South Carolina - Alligator population is estimated to be100,000.
4. Georgia - When you think of Georgia, you don't usually think of alligators but, they have a significant population of around 200,000-250,000 alligators.
3. Texas - Everything is bigger in Texas, and that goes for the gator population as well, clocking in at anywhere between 400,000-500,000 alligators.
2. Florida - Florida is known for their wetlands, marsh, "Florida Man", and alligator population. According to a-z-animals.com, Florida boasts an alligator population of 1.3 million.
1. Louisiana - We're number 1! Well, not sure how excited we should really be about it but...watch ya toes!
From a-z-animals.com -
"The most recent data shows that Louisiana is home to over 2 million wild alligators across the state, with an additional 1 million located on farms.
The state is quite famous for alligator farming and harvesting, accounting for hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue brought to the state."
So, Louisiana has 2 million alligators in the wild with another 1 million on alligator farms.
Read more at a-z-animals.com.