Louisiana Wildlife Attractions Worth Taking The Kids To
Louisiana is full of surprises, including the fact that we have a plethora of wildlife attractions around the state. I mean, we are known for our outdoor activities, but the a fore mentioned wildlife is not always a welcome sight when we are playing outside. Ever seen an alligator on a golf course, or encountered snakes in the water when you were swimming in the bayou? Then you know what I mean.
But these spots around the state are meant for kids of all ages to view and enjoy. And thanks to the folks at Only in Louisiana, we have some Spring Break suggestions that include our native wildlife for the entire family!
- Gators & Friends, 11441 US-80, Greenwood. An adventure park and petting zoo for exotics. Activities for kids to adults, including go carts and a zip line above the park
- Global Wildlife Center, 26389 Hwy. 40, Folsom. Ride in your car through lush outdoors filled with exotic animals in the largest free-roaming wildlife preserve in the United States.
- Lake Martin, 1209 Rookery Rd., Breaux Bridge. A large bird rookery, which means hundreds of wading birds call this place home. A gorgeous lake with lots species to see in their natural habitat.
- Bird City, Hwy. 329, Avery Island. A bird sanctuary right in our own back yard, in a beautiful and lush location near New Iberia.
- The Gator Chateau, 100 Rue de l'Acadie, Jennings. You might have seen the signs for this right off I-10 in Jennings. You can hold a baby gator and get a photo!
- Wildlife Country Safari Park, 8 Hobby Newton Rd., Delhi. Guided tours to see everything from bunnies to buffalo, but you can also get up close and personal while you drive your car through the park.
- Audubon Zoo, 6500 Magazine Street, New Orleans. Unique natural habitat exhibits include the Louisiana Swamp and Jaguar Jungle. Opened in 1884, and one of the most historic places in our state.
- Zoosiana, Zoo of Acadiana, 5601 Hwy 90 E, Broussard. Field trips, camp, and special events make this a go to destination if you are in Acadiana. A really fun and friendly place!