Phrases Heard Only In Louisiana
You can always tell when someone is from Louisiana. It's not just the accent, or the way they say things, but the phrases known only to us, as well. It's one of the things that makes us, us! Only in Louisiana came up with some awesome phrases that are a sure fire way to let someone know you're from the great state of Louisiana! And let us know if we've forgotten anything, sha.
- Make Groceries - this is used mainly around New Orleans - it means going grocery shopping
- You Want Your Sandwich 'Dressed' - lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and mayo
- Save the Dishes - do the dishes
- Pass a Good Time - have a good time, sha!
- Fixin' To - you are about to do something
- Minou - the cat
- Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler - let the good times roll!
- Pinch the Tail and Suck the Head - what you do when you are eating boiled crawfish
- Lagniappe - a little something extra
- Throw Me Somethin, Mister! - heard at every Mardi Gras parade in the state. Basically, it's begging for trinkets to be thrown from the float
- Envie - you're craving something
- Gris Gris - a voodoo curse
- Cher, or Sha - a term of endearment
- Neutral Ground - mainly used in New Orleans. It means the median in the middle of a street
- Fais Do Do - cajun street party