Simple Causes of Migraines and Easy Cures
As someone who knows all too well the effects of a migraine or horrible headache, I know that it can make life pretty stressful. You never know for sure when one will strike and just how bad it will be. What you do know is that once it starts, your day will probably have to stop.
My headaches tend to come at random times and for many reasons. These include:
- getting extremely hot
- pollen during the Summer
- stress or lack of sleep (often not realizing it)
- loud sounds (every now and then)
- laying down for too long
- eating something super greasy
- back pain
- looking at the computer or TV for too long
Some of these things are a little strange, but I have become quite used to them. Sinuses tend to be a pretty common trigger amongst headache sufferers as well as stress and lack of sleep. Those who are a part of the migraine club know that the only thing they need to do when one comes on is to start treating it immediately.
The last few times I have had a debilitating headache, taking medicine just didn't seem to do the trick. The researcher in me did some Googling and came across some interesting ideas to try.
- Try filling the tub or sink with bearably hot water, soak your hand and feet, and put an ice pack or frozen bag of veggies on the back of your neck for 10 to 15 minutes
- For the headaches brought on my sinuses, take a hot and steamy shower. The steam will open up your sinus cavities and allow for you to breathe better.
- You can also put your head over a steaming pot of water with a towel over your head for the same effect
- I try not to lay completely flat in bed because, for some reason, it seems to hurt worse
- If you carry stress in your neck and shoulders and have a friend or family member who loves you, like a lot, ask them to massage that area to help relieve tension
I have tried a few of these and even if the headache does subside completely, the pain and tension is partially relieved and I can better function. I also take medicine when I first feel the headache/migraine coming on. If you are a fellow sufferer, I surely hope this helps you!