NFL Asks Louisiana Supreme Court to Toss Out Saints Fans’ ‘No Call’ Lawsuit
The now infamous "no call" in the Saints-Rams NFC Championship Game just doesn't want to go away.
The latest in this saga has NFL attorneys filing an appeal to the Louisiana Supreme Court this week in an attempt to block the New Orleans Saints fans' lawsuit against the league.
NFL attorney Glad Jones argues in the filing that the suit would open up the NFL and other leagues to these kinds of time-intensive legal proceedings and it could mire the legal system "in disputes that it lacks the time or expertise to resolve."
You may recall last week that a Louisiana judge ordered NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and three officials from January's NFC championship Game be questioned under oath in September after the infamous "no call" helped the Los Angeles Rams reach the Super Bowl.
Attorney Antonio LeMon, who filed a lawsuit over the game, said he and league attorneys will pick a mutually agreeable date for depositions in New Orleans, barring any league appeals that might push back or cancel the questioning.
LeMon's lawsuit is seeking $75,000 in damages, which would be donated to charity, over the failure to flag pass interference or a roughness penalty against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman for his helmet-to-helmet hit on receiver Tommylee Lewis.
State Civil District Court Judge Nicole Sheppard of New Orleans ruled earlier this month that the lawsuit could proceed. She also ruled that LeMon could request documents and ask questions of NFL officials.
Sheppard said on Monday that depositions should take place in September and also set August 22 for the next hearing in the lawsuit.
LeMon says that he intends for any money won will go to the Team Gleason Foundation, which was founded by former Saints star Steve Gleason. Gleason was diagnosed with ALS in 2011.