Firefighters with the Lafayette Fire Department responded to a fire on Wednesday night at Express Inn Hotel, located at 1314 NE Evangeline Thruway in Lafayette, Louisiana.

According to Fire Chief Robert Benoit, multiple fire units were dispatched to the scene after receiving multiple calls reporting that the building was on fire.

Google Maps
Google Maps

Once on scene, the firefighters noticed smoke coming from an upstairs room. Crews entered the room to discover a fire in the bathroom.

The fire was quickly extinguished. The room did, however, sustain moderate fire damage.

The occupants of the room were outside when they noticed smoke coming from inside. Guests of the hotel used fire extinguishers in an effort to extinguish the fire.

Firefighter Uniform and Boots on Firetruck
Metaphortography, Getty Stock / ThinkStock

There were a total of five occupants in the room - grandmother, daughter, and three grandchildren.

One of the occupants was a pregnant female. She was evaluated on scene for minor inhalation. Out of precaution, she was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Fire officials determined that the fire originated in the bathroom. The cause of the fire is believed to be an improperly discarded smoking material or a lighter.

The fire has been ruled an accident.

LOOK: These Are the Parishes With the Shortest Life Expectancy in Louisiana

Stacker compiled a list of counties with below average life expectancy in Louisiana using data from the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute.

Gallery Credit: Stacker

More From 97.3 The Dawg