Large Portion of Louisiana Under Threat for Severe Storms Today
At this point of the summer, any rain is welcomed rain in Louisiana. Unfortunately, that rainfall might come as part of a severe weather threat for a large portion of the Bayou State. Louisiana is experiencing a spate of extremely dry weather, that's us putting it mildly. Those dry conditions have turned much of the state's rural areas into a tinderbox ready to explode in flames at even the slightest hint of a spark.
As you can see from the graphic above, almost the entire state is in extreme drought or exceptional drought conditions. That's why the state remains under a burn ban and that's why tailgaters at weekend college football games will not be allowed to "fire up the pit". At least until further notice.
Now that we've covered the dry, let's talk about the wet. Namely, the threat of strong to severe storms across much of western Louisiana during the afternoon hours today. The Storm Prediction Center has the entire state at risk for showers and thunderstorms today but the area in dark green, that's the part of the state that is at a marginal risk for severe storms.
Forecasters with the National Weather Service are suggesting that the mid to late afternoon hours are the most likely times for the strongest of the storms to form. Those who find themselves under one of these storms can expect strong gusty winds, frequent and dangerous lightning, heavy downpours, and perhaps even some small hail.
As far as rain chances go, they really are not that high for a potential severe weather risk. Most of the state has only a 30% to 40% probability of getting rain today. But, if you happen to be in the "right" 30% to 40% your afternoon could get rocking with some explosive thunderstorms.
A Heat Advisory is also posted for much of the state again today but there could be some good news in the extended forecast for next week. At least one long-range forecast model is calling for high temperatures below 90 degrees for next Tuesday through next weekend. Those upper 80s will sure feel pleasant, won't they?
Up until then, you could always cool off in one of these.